The following list is a summary of all major additions, changes, and fixes part of version
6.0.0 of the Textual IRC Client.
Textual 6 delivers performance unmatched by any of its predecessors when running on OS X El
Capitan or later.
This is accomplished by laying out and rendering channel content on separate processes using
View Multiple Channels
Command click up to six (6) channels to view them simultaneously.
The keyboard shortcut Command-D can be used to quickly navigate between channels.*
Chat Filter Addon
The Chat Filter Addon received a significant overhaul.
- Filters can now be dragged and dropped to change the order they're matched in.
- Filters can now be exported and imported to allow them to be shared with others.
- Filters can now respond to more events: user joined channel, user left
channel, user kicked from channel, user disconnected, channel topic
changed, channel mode changed, and much, much more!
- An empty Filter Match value will match any possible value.
Textual 6 supports Happy Eyeballs, a
protocol for intelligently using IPv6 when
A preference to prefer IPv4 has been added to the Network Socket section of
- Added the command back which can be used to easily toggle off away status.
- Added the commands quiet and unquiet which can be used to modify the
quiet list of the selected channel.
- Added “List of Quiets” window to view and/or remove entries in the quiet list of the
- Added support for the monitor
IRCv3 capacity to the Address Book.
- Added inline image support for .webm files hosted by 4chan and 8chan.
- Added inline image support for lfil.es short URLs.
- Added preference “Only speak channel messages for the selected channel”, which is enabled
- A two second delay now occurs between each join when automatically joining channels. This
delay can be modified by browsing to Preferences ➜ Advanced ➜ Flood Control.
- Textual no longer waits for the Internet to be available before reconnecting when waking
from sleep. There is no reliable way to determine when we can truly send data, so it's best to
- It is no longer possible to select more than eight (8) channels at one time in the “Channel
- Incomplete file transfers are now resumed when the person sending the file supports
- Improved technique for collecting channel information to reduce number of “Max SendQ"
- Improved support for connecting to irssi-proxy.
- Improved reliability and speed of playing back messages from previous session.
- The Client Certificate section of Server Properties now includes the
SHA-256 fingerprint of the certificate.
- The commands amsg and ame no longer send messages to queries (private
- The commands ctcp and ctcpreply now expect the first parameter to always
be the destination.
- The commands gline, gzline, zline, shun, and
tempshun no longer modify their input to include the default reason.
- The commands ignore and unignore are no longer silent. They now provide
feedback when performed.
- Removed the preference to hide messages that mention an ignored user. This preference never
worked correctly and had a noticeable impact on performance.
- When duplicating a connection, its passwords are now duplicated as well.
- Modified list of whitelisted URL schemes to include “gopher”
- Modified list of networks to include GeekShed, MindForge, IdleChat, and LizardIRC.
- Modified list of networks to remove the now defunct networks flux.cd, IRCNode,
irc.btri.x10.bz, and ValleyNode.
- Removed inline image support for the now defunct services img.ly, twitgoo.com,
tweetphoto.com, and yfrog.com.
- Fixed inability to add a channel named “#”
- Fixed almost every misspelling of “Parameter" as “Paramater”
- Fixed inability to navigate Server Properties using the tab key.
- Fixed channel passwords not being censored when they are supposed to be.
- Fixed file transfers failing when sending a file with a name that contains a space.
- Fixed a bug in the Caffeine addon that caused crashes when deleting
Addon Backwards Compatibility
Some custom styles built for Textual 5 will not work correctly with Textual 6
To view modifications that need to be made, see this knowledge base
article for more information.
All scripts built for Textual 5 will work with Textual 6 without modification.
All plugins built for Textual 5 will not work with Textual 6 without
Plugins that are bundled with Textual, such as Blowfish Encryption, Caffeine, and Wiki-style
Link Parser; have already been modified to support Textual 6.
/getscripts into the main input text
field to install the latest version of those plugins.
Other plugins require modification. To view modifications that need to be made, see this knowledge base
All filters added to Textual 5 will work with Textual 6 without modification.